Thursday 23 October 2008

Aberdyfi - Aberdovey

Well I just have to talk about Aberdyfi because I have gone on about it so much and most people don't even know it exists let alone pronounce the name. It sounds like Aberdovey which is the Englishgenerations ion of the village. It used to be a fishing port but now relies mainly on tourism. About 40 years ago planning permission allowed holiday bungalows to be built behind the village following a small valley. There must be 50 of them and one of them was astutely purchased by my father. I spent my summer holidays here from 1967 and worked here all summer during my college years 1972-75 using the bungalow as a base. I made many friends and it was work all day and party all night including many bonfires amongst the sand dunes. The food in those days consisted of crisps in the pub or fish and chips. Today the coffee houses have expanded to serve the public's changing needs and all the pubs also serve soft and hot drinks as well as traditional ales. What I have noticed is that while 40 years ago the village almost rolled up the sidewalk (pavement) from September to July, now there is a lot more activity and here in late October there is plenty of hussle and bussle. The area again seems to be thriving, I think partly due to the sea air and mild climate but I wonder if climate change is a contributary factor. Aberdyfi is at a higher latitude than Winnipeg yet there is rarely a frost or any snow and the grass is green all year with many plants like gorse and winter jasmine that flower throughout the winter. Food for thought.

Update August 1st 2014, the bungalow purchased by my father is about to be sold after 44 years, in many ways a sad time yet it is no longer much used and it is time for it provide holidays to a new generation. 

No comments: