Sunday 22 September 2013

RSPB - Merefest

The RSPB have been around for a long time and was initially founded as a society for the protection of birds. As most people know they have grown into an organisation was is the watchword for the preservation of all our natural heritage from butterflies to badgers, from pondweed to beech forests.

I have been a member since 2010 and am fortunate to live near to Ynyshir from where Springwatch is broadcast. The Dyfi Estuary is a beautiful unspoiled part of the UK and the wealth of wildlife is truly amazing. My own personal interest is the 50 or so species of butterfly in this country and my aim is to see most of them in my life. To this extent I was in Durlston Country Park where I added several species to my list including the rare Lulworth skipper and the Marbled White.

So I you can imagine my delight when I visited the Albrighton Garden Centre and the RSPB had a stand attended by a lady who was very knowledgeable about everything that is happening right now. I was delighted to learn that RSBP are expanding their range of butterfly pins, I have collected all of them and the 2013 addition of the Brimstone is spectacular especially as this is the butterfly with one of the biggest recoveries since the disastrous summer of 2012. 

The RSBP now have expanded their mandate to embrace an overall preservation of the ecology of the country in general. To that extent they were promoting Merefest that took place on Saturday September 21st 2013. Sadly we were not able to attend at such short notice but I picked up a brochure so that I can go next year. It takes place at Cholmondeley Castle near Wrexham, is all about ecology and more information can be found at www.themeresandmosses.co.uk. The day is centred on pond and bug life but it is approached from a point of view of fun with canoeing, crafts and trampolines to engage young people. If the wildlife of the UK is to survive, this is the way it has to be tackled.

If you are interested in the work of the RSBP visit www.rspb.org.uk for more information. The Merefest is just one of the ways the RSBP is trying to provide corridors for wildlife so that they can continue to negotiate and thrive in our modern country.

No comments: