Sunday 22 September 2013

Tour of Britain - Stage 5

See video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjLr4TR4gI

Well the day started out OK, it was actually dry before 9am but then the heavens opened and it didn't stop. I walked round the back of Machynlleth via the Leisure Centre and came out through a wood into a carpark where the coaches were just driving up. I moved up to the Sky coach and people were already gathering behind railings. Despite the rain, nobody moved away. I was about one row back so was able to peer through to where, under a canopy, the bikes were being set out and the tyres filled to the right pressure by what can only be described as a very tall man. As is the case with most of my observations of celebrity, the staff seemed to be milling around very busy with something but not really sure what they were about. One guy had a very important job of removing the water that collected in the canopy a number of times nearly soaking someone or other with the cascade. I wonder how you would apply for that job.

Just before the race the guys started to emerge in full regalia and made some attempt to sign autographs on rain soaked sports cards given out earlier. I did not attempt to remove my sheet from the bag and just made the effort to get a few close shots of Bradley. Considering the weather, I count myself lucky in what I managed to obtain. And Bradley, well you could tell he had done a lot of this and did not complain but I think he was glad to get off to the starting line. 

We then all trooped over in the rain to the starting line on Maengwyn Street. A guy making the general announcements and even managing to interview Bradley. Bikers getting ready to leave at the same time keeping out of the rain. Excited kids taking photos on 1000's of smart phones. These must be the most photographed bike races to date. Your token grown ups dressed in mascot animal costumes. The Klaxon going off at 8 the 4 then 2 minutes to go. Then they are off in the driving rain but with better weather promised further south at Caerffili.

I looked up and saw our friends, the Turtons over on the other side frantically waiving and generally having a good time. They indicated to move towards the clock tower and we met up where the barriers tapered out  and headed to the White Lion for drinks. We discovered that we were a lot wetter than we had realised but happily my camera was dry and had survived the ordeal with some interesting shots and video.

No comments: