Sunday 22 September 2013

Severn Valley Railway Autumn Gala

See video at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tabRR8IjzQ0

So the gala announced that schools class 'Cheltenham' would be paying a visit. I love all steam locomotives but these are my favourites so suddenly there was a ad scramble to arrange a visit preferably on the Friday to avoid the crowds. We parked at the Blackstone Car Park as there is always room there and the car is safely away from the road and we then walked into Bewdley.

Duchess of Sutherland
Arriving at the station I purchased a return ticket to Kidderminster that would allow me to say that I had been pulled by 'Cheltenham' then we went on to the platform to assess who was where. The first news was that the Metropolitan No 1 0-4-4 had failed on its brakes and would not be working today. Kinlet hall was on pilot duty and The Duchess of Sutherland was due in on the northbound platform for Bridgnorth. So far so good, then when the Duchess arrived in her magnificence there came the news that she had failed as well and would be taken out of service. For me this was actually a bonus since it meant she was decoupled and I got a good shot of the front smokebox. It's uncanny how these engines evoke the model engine made by Hornby Dublo back in the 60's. Of course it's the other way round but I didn't think that way when I owned my prize model. Kinlet hall took over then we waited for the arrival of Sir Keith Park who pulled a rake of coaches...and me... all the way to Kidderminster.

Sir Keith Park
The great thing about Kidderminster is the open space that allows great lines of vision for taking photographs. I love Cheltenham but Sir Keith Park is a damn cool Bullied Pacific and I spent a lot of time close to her taking photos before heading into the station for a coffee in the museum. Kidderminster definitely now evokes a busy station atmosphere and is a real mecca for people wanting to experience a station in steam's hey day.

Cheltenham
Then I headed to the platform again and waited for Sir Keith to depart and for Cheltenham to come in almost immediately after. Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful. It was just so neat to see her on GWR metals. I moved to my photo position at the car park and waited. Eventually she came round the coaches and settled in front of the coaches. I took many photos and some of them are my best from the day. I now have photos I can use without copyright permission. Great feeling

Time to leave and I climbed in the last coach and as we rounded the curves I was able to see all along to where Cheltenham chugged reliably along in front. A credit to her designer engineer Richard Maunsell. The rest of the day was uneventful but I waived goodbye as she steamed away headed for all points north to Bridgnorth and another group of devoted photographers.

No comments: